- Submit a Newspaper Item
- Log In
- Send Ad Files
- Special Sections
About the Stoughton Courier Hub
Submitted by Anonymous on Fri, 01/25/2008 - 04:58
For well over a century, the award-winning Stoughton Courier Hub has been the dominant news medium serving the Stoughton area.
The origins of the paper date back to the latter half of the 19th century, when an influx of Norwegian immigrants earned Stoughton the nickname of "The Lutefisk Capital of America."
The newspaper is the result of a 1909 merger of two predecessors: The Courier, first printed in 1872, and the aptly named Hub, founded in 1881 by Norwegian immigrant and wagon company founder Targe Mandt.
Stoughton Newspapers was acquired from John Lebeck and Dick Anderson in 1993 by Woodward Communications, Inc., a Dubuque, Iowa-based employee-owned (ESOP) media company comprised of mass and niche media products as well as niche marketing ad communication services.
Since 1998, the Courier Hub has been part of the Unified Newspaper Group, a division of Woodward Communications. In addition to the Stoughton Courier Hub, Unified Newspaper Group publishes the Fitchburg Star, Oregon Observer, Verona Press, Your Family magazine and the Great Dane shopper.